Halloween Bite-Size Eyeballs Recipe
Halloween Bite-Size Eyeballs
These spooky treats are a must-have for any Halloween party. The eyeballs are made of cheesy pastry puffs and decorated with a cucumber slice and pimiento-stuffed olive to create the eyes. Then, squeezed with some ketchup to give the impression of bloodshot eyes.
In a medium saucepan, place the butter, ½ cup water, and ¼ teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir until the mixture becomes homogeneous and smooth.
Continue stirring for about 1 minute, and transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Let it sit for about 15 minutes or until cool to the touch.
Add eggs one at a time. Using a wooden spoon, beat until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the cheese and ⅛ teaspoon of pepper.
Using a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop, make small balls of the mixture and drop them on the prepared baking sheet 2-inch apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes, and rotate the baking sheet.
- Reduce the heat to 350 °F and continue baking for another 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
Transfer the cheesy puffs to a wire rack to cool down. Then, start decorating.
- To make the eyes, use a drop of cream cheese to attach a cucumber slice to the top of each cheese puff. Then, place a pimiento-stuffed olive slice on top of each cucumber.
- Using ketchup, draw squiggly lines on each cheese puff to resemble bloodshot eyes.