Nanaimo Bars Recipe
Nanaimo bars are delicious and sweet treats. These popular no-bake bars, also known as prayer bars in the US, are perfect desserts any time of day.
They are packed with flavor and will satisfy your sweet tooth. They have a graham cracker crust topped with chocolate, vanilla custard, and coconut. If you have yet to try these delicious bars, you are missing out!
1 cup Butter, softened and divided
5 tbsp. Unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup White sugar
- 1 Egg, beaten
1 ¾ cups Graham cracker crumbs
1 cup Flaked coconut
½ cup Finely chopped almonds (optional)
- 3 tbsp. Heavy cream
2 tbsp. Custard powder
2 cups Confectioners' sugar
- 4 (1 oz.) Squares of semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 2 tsp. Butter
Mix 1/2 cup softened butter, cocoa powder, and sugar in a double boiler. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Add the egg and stir until thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the graham crumbs.
- Add the flaked coconut and almonds.
- In an 8x8-inch pan, press the mixture into the bottom.
- For the middle layer, beat the remaining softened butter, heavy cream, and custard powder.
- Stir until the mixture gets floppy
- Add confectioners sugar and stir until smooth.
- Spread over the layer of mixture and chill to set.
- While the second layer is chilling, melt semi-sweet chocolate and 2 teaspoons of butter together over low heat; spread the melted chocolate mixture over chilled bars; let the chocolate set before cutting into squares.