Spiced Carrot & Lentil Soup Recipe
Spiced Carrot & Lentil Soup
Spiced carrot & lentil soup is a delicious, healthy recipe perfect for winter. This soup is high in nutrients and low in fat, making it an excellent weight-loss option.
You can make this soup in under half an hour or use a slow cooker for an even easier meal. Spiced carrot & lentil soup is a great way to get your daily dose of iron, and the spices give this soup a unique flavor that will keep you coming back for more.
In a large pot, dry-fry 2 tablespoons of cumin seeds and a pinch of chili flakes for 1 minute, or until they begin to leap around the pan and produce fragrances.
With a spoon, scoop off about half of the mixture and leave aside. Bring to a boil 2 tbsp olive oil, 600g finely chopped carrots, 140g split red lentils, 1l hot vegetable stock, and 125ml milk in a saucepan.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the lentils have softened and extended.
- Puree the soup with a stick blender or a food processor until smooth, or leave it chunky if you like.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then finish with a dollop of plain yogurt and sprinkle the toasted spices you saved. Serve with warmed naan bread.
- Make with soup maker: You may save time and effort by combining all of your components in a soup maker and wheezing up a delicious soup in no time.
- If you're using a slow cooker: In the slow cooker pot, combine half the cumin seeds, half the chili flakes, the oil, carrots, lentils, and 700ml stock. Cover and cook for 3 hours on high, or until lentils are cooked. Dry-fry the remaining cumin seeds and chili flakes Just until aromatic. Add the milk and blitz up the soup to your desired chunkiness when the lentils are done.
- Turn it into a Moroccan style: Substitute a few teaspoons of harissa paste for the chili flakes and cumin seeds. You could also add cooked shredded chicken towards the end of the cooking process.
- Don't include dairy in the recipe: Use a can of reduced-fat coconut milk instead of the milk for a fuller, dairy-free alternative.