Swamp Monster Spaghetti Recipe
Swamp Monster Spaghetti
If you’re feeling extra creative this Halloween, why not try this spooky spaghetti recipe? Transform your regular pasta into a swamp monster using squid ink spaghetti pasta or Black bean noodles. Then, top it with meat sauce and pimiento-stuffed Green olives to resemble eyes.
To complete the look, you will need a spider pumpkin stand to create the impression that it has legs.
2 lbs. 80/20 Ground beef
3 ½ tsp. Salt
2 ½ tsp. Black pepper
1 tbsp. Olive oil
1 Yellow onion, finely chopped
½ Red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed, and finely diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
42 oz. Crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp. Tomato paste
1 tbsp Granulated sugar
1 lb. Squid ink spaghetti or Black bean noodles
- Salt (for pasta water)
For the Marinara and Meat Sauce:
For the Black Spaghetti:
For the sauce, place the ground beef in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Then, break it apart with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Cook the beef for about 10 minutes or until completely browned, stirring often.
Remove the saucepan from heat and transfer the cooked beef to a colander, pressing out any excess grease.
- Wipe down the inside of the saucepan, and add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and leave the lid ajar, maintaining a slow simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir often.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Set aside until ready to use.
- Increase the stovetop’s heat to medium and put olive oil in a large skillet. Let the oil come to a temperature, then add the onions and peppers.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes, then add garlic and sauté for another 1 minute.
- Add the cooked beef, then the marinara sauce.
- In a large pot over high heat, pour water and bring to a boil. Add salt.
- Add the squid ink pasta (or Black bean noodles) and cook according to the instructions on the package.
Strain the cooked pasta and transfer it to a serving platter. Top it with meat sauce.
- For the eyes, cut the pimiento-stuffed Green olives into thick slices and arrange them in pairs across the top of the sauce.