Veggie Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
Veggie Breakfast Sandwich
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
This recipe is for you if you're looking for a breakfast sandwich that's a little lighter on cheese and bacon. It features a modest amount of melted cheese and some fresh veggies to balance it out.
The best part is that it's just as easy to make as a traditional breakfast sandwich. So if you're looking for a healthier option, give this one a try. You won't be disappointed!Author
1 Whole-wheat English muffin, toasted in half (or two fairly small slices of bread, toasted)
2 tbsp. Mayonnaise
½ ripe Avocado, mashed
Freshly ground black pepper and salt
1 large Egg
- ½ tsp. Water
1 tsp. Butter (or olive oil)
2 small slices of Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (about 12 ounces, any melty cheese will suffice)
- 1 slice Ripe red tomato (optional)
Red onion, thinly sliced
Few dashes of hot sauce
Arugula or sprouts, a small handful
Spread the mayonnaise over the bottom half of your toasted muffin to make the sandwiches. Then, spread the mashed avocado over the other half and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Over medium-high heat, heat a medium nonstick skillet or a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet. When the pan is hot, add a pat of butter and swirl it around to coat the bottom.
- Scramble the egg in a bowl with water and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour the scrambled egg and swirl it around in the pan to form an even layer.
- Place cheese in the center of the egg mixture right away.
- Fold one side over the middle, then the opposite side over the middle once the egg is firm enough to fold over onto itself with a spatula (this could take 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Repeat the process with the remaining two sides to form a cute little egg and cheese envelope. Allow it to cook for 15 to 30 seconds or until it's firm enough to transfer to a plate. Reduce the stove temperature from medium-high to medium if you're making more sandwiches, as the pan only gets hotter the longer it's on the stove.
- Put the cooked egg on top of the mayonnaise-covered bun and garnish with a slice of tomato. Add a few slices of red onion, a dash of hot sauce, and a small handful of arugula. Place the remaining bun, avocado side down, on top.
- Insert a sharp knife into the center of the sandwich and slice across to one edge to cut it in half. Repeat the other direction. Serve hot!